"Never forget the three powerful resources you always have before you: Love, Forgiveness & Prayer"

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Little bit of Life & a recipe :)

Quick Run Down of the past week with the Houston's....
1- After a LONG weekend last weekend and decisions to make, I must say I am SO thankful for my baby brother, who stayed up late on the phone walking me through the options and helping me sort through everything=) I love you Andrew!!!
2- Monday night Jon brought home a baby kitten he had somehow dug up w/ his excavator at work! We spent the night bottle feeding and catering to it. It was precious! It thought Bailey was it's mom. If you know anyone who wants a teeny tiny kitten-please let us know! We are looking for a good home for it :) Tuesday he found a turtle-luckily he didn't bring that one home! :)

3- Okay, Im sort of back tracking BUT, I ended up dropping my MAC off my bed & now it will not cut on :( THis makes for a VERY sad little me!! So, Now I'm on JOn's (not as fast) PC. Hopefully I will find sometime to take it to apple, since that didn't seem to happen this past week!!
4- Tuesday Jon started going to the gym! Which is a BIG Deal :) GO JON! =) It was nice having him to go w/, however it was week 1 so he didn't stay long ;) Ha! Hoping week 2 calls for a little more endurance :) ha!
5- We had a pretty good weekend-enjoyed dinner w/ friends last night! 
6- Earlier, I took Bailey out in the back yard and realized the grass is SO high you can barely see the little guy - (it's not as tall in the front, trust me!) Since Jon isn't home I decided to crank up the ole push mower and give it a whirl. First off it took me forever to get it on & secondly once I got to the backyard it kept cutting off b/c the grass is so high...after about twenty starts&stops and 10 designs in the back yard and sweat pouring from my eye lids (didnt know they could sweat) I decided to save that for Jon!!! Boooo!
7-I started reading Eat for your blood type!!! Pretty interesting ;)

On another note, I thought of another MUST HAVE in your kitchen- The Buttery Homestyle Idaho Mashed Potatos! They come in a little bag & all you do is mix them w/ water & heat. Jon Loves Mashed pot's so I am constantly whipping these up for him! (I shared this b/c I was real suprised to find out some people still slave over mashed potatos!!!)


& Lastly.........a recipe my little friend, Mrs. Ayers has been waiting on... (Well actually this isn't my original one, but I tried it last week and it was GREAT-or so Jon said!) Let's be honest --it has to be! When I couldn't find my recipe I decided to go to WHO other than.....Paula Deen! SO this is her grandmothers recipe--Enjoy ;) 

Ingredients:

peanut oil for frying
1   2 1/2 pound chicken cut into pieces
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 cup self-rising flour
salt and pepper for seasoning chicken
1/3 cup water
3   eggs

Directions

Tip from Paula: My Grandmother Paul always said to season chicken and return it to the refrigerator and let it sit as long as time permits, at least 2 to 3 hours.  And always use small chickens.
Beat eggs with water.  Add black pepper to self-rising flour. Dip seasoned chicken in egg; coat well in flour mixture.  Fry in moderately hot shortening, 350 degrees, in a cast iron skillet.  Place lid on top of skillet and fry until brown and crisp.  Remember that dark meat requires longer cooking time (about 13 to 14 minutes, compared to 8 to 10 minutes for white meat.)
Recipe courtesy Grandmother Paula
Servings: 4 servings
Prep Time: 3 hours 10 min
Cook Time: 8-14 minutes, depending on white or dark meat
Difficulty: Moderate
Fried Chicken!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, YAY!!! I can't wait to try this!! Thank you for posting-I'll let you know how it turns out!! :)

    ReplyDelete